Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Daffodils are laughing at me: a lesson in tenacity

Daffodils are all over downtown right now. They seem to always be the first one up prancing around like they already drank a pot of tea and had a muffin. Along with the hyacinth, I have been snapping photos and sketching these daffodils to paint them.

I got my paints out and viewed all my references and low and behold when I went to paint these tricksters, they posed quite a challenge. The daffodils laughed at me, that's right, they laughed at me! They laughed as I painted them from all angles (he he he) They laughed when I mixed my colors (ha ha ha). They laughed as my knife moved on the canvas (Baahhhhhh) Someone needs to cut off their caffeine and sugar (or possibly their head). 

Here was my first attempt at the laughing daffies. 
I used my trusty palette knife and came out with "it's kinda messy mom."
Agreed, but parts of it I really like (okay, I only like the stems). 

I'm going to try this again, with a new approach. I can't give in to these jokers. 

Daffodils laughing AT me (2015)
Acrylic with palette knife on canvas panel 6x6

Here's the next attempt with a brush, The White Stripes, and a little pink to problem solve (in my head all challenges can be solved with pink, yellow or purple and sometimes turquoise). 

Laughing WITH the daffodils (2015)
Acrylic on canvas panel 6x6
SOLD



Suck it Daffodils! 
I too have been up since 4am with a pot of tea and a muffin. 

-Cheree




No comments:

Post a Comment