Monday, May 4, 2015

You've been pick by a smooth criminal

I am a criminal. I became a criminal when I was camping. This so far has been a well kept secret within the family, but it should be told.

When I was 6, I ventured out into the fields of wild flowers in Crested Butte and picked not 1, not 2, but an entire bundle of wild Columbines. I took the Columbines back to camp and showed them to my older cousin, Steve, and he told me that it was illegal to pick those and that I was probably going to jail. I started crying and ran back to the camper where my mom and grandma were and I showed them my columbines and that I picked them for Mom. I told them I didn't want to go to jail and I wanted to stay at camp. For those who are unaware, in 1925 it became illegal to pick more than 25 columbines in 1 day or uproot them. This law was made in order to protect them.....now, I'm not sure how big my bundle was (it was big and there may have been roots), but it was enough to get me grounded to the camper.

Columbines gone wild (2015)
Acrylic on canvas panel 8x6
SOLD

So, now you know, criminals pick more than 25 columbines a day by the roots and noncriminals pick only 24 root free. 
-Cheree 

No comments:

Post a Comment