Monday, June 22, 2015

Madly crashing the palace

I have never been to the Brown Palace. I've never stayed there and I've never been there for tea.
I know this is shocking to some, as I drink tea by the pot fulls, and live within walking distance, but I've just never gone. It is on my list of one of the Denver things I need to go do.

Tea at the Brown Palace has been going on for over a century. Now, that's not long by London standards, but by Denver standards, that's MAD!

For the third painting in my Wonderland Denver series, I love the thought of the Mad Hatter and March Hare crashing the Brown Palace for a tea party. This thought brings me endless joy. The Mad Hatter and March Hare themselves, are quite interesting characters, and not too different from patrons of The Brown Palace or your local bar. The March Hare wants time to stand still, living only in the escape....forever....at tea time. He does not move forward or backwards, or even in the moment. He remains still, wanting time to stop. The Mad Hatter seems to be waiting patiently for his friend/partner/loved one to "snap out of it", all the while trying to keep his own sanity, but somewhat already going mad.
Crashing the Palace (Brown Palace) 2015
Acrylic on canvas panel 6x6

"Have I gone mad?" -Mad Hatter
 "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. -Alice
But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.” (Tim Burton add-on from the remake, which is brilliant)

-Cheree



No comments:

Post a Comment