Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Reverse the Curse

In 2002, when I graduated from nursing school, I up & moved to Boston. I knew no one there, never visited there, I just thought I should go some where I'd never been before. I quite literally woke up one day and decided I should move to Boston. My arrival in Boston in July of 2002 brought me not only 2000 miles away from my family, but also to a much bigger city than I'd ever experienced. I was in complete culture shock & having frequent panic attacks...for many, many, months. I wanted to turn around and go home immediately. Plus, the city was cursed. It said so every where. It was written on every single over pass and bridge. Graphited all over the city and no one seemed to bother to clean off the graffiti....Evah. Honestly, I had no idea what "Reverse the Curse" meant, but the day I got up the courage to ask (after 3 months of living there) what the "reverse the curse" is, was the first time in my life I thought I might actually die from a fire breathing, eye dagger shooting human...either that or they were going to spontaneous combust. "You "shittin me?" Ahhhhh..... noooooo? Is it related to Salem? "Are you (Fbomb) shittin me!?" Ahhhhh......nooooooo? Silence. Breathing. Silence.
 
So it was my brief time there and ability to live amongst the wicked and the cursed that has helped me somewhat with my own "curses".
 
This painting is the fourth different painting on this same canvas board. Usually I will attempt to shoot daggers at a cursed canvas, unsuccessfully, or if really cursed, I will perform a special kind of curse reversal that involves a plastic bag and a garbage truck....and eventually a fire breathing incinerator.
I gave this guy one last attempt & painted a wild flower field that I've hiked many times up in Crested Butte and often thought about when I was homesick, having panic attacks out east

Wild Field (2016)
Oil on cursed canvas board 8x8
                                                           
I'd like to say that my residence in Boston from '02-'04 helped reverse the curse, but I don't want to have another brush with death.....
EVAH!
-Cheree






No comments:

Post a Comment