Saturday, February 6, 2016

Unnecessary Roughness

The classes I've taken lately, I've painted with very talented individuals. I like learning not only from the instructor, but also from the other, more practiced painters. I usually look forward to this and all that I have to learn. But for some reason, this evening, I was very rough on myself, my painting ability, the painting itself. I was wishing I'd just stayed home sick (I was a bit under the weather I should mention, but I'm somewhat cheap & didn't want to lose my money I paid for the class....ahh, digression back to the blog now)....I was having a hard time seeing the success of it, when others were perfectly capable of seeing it for me. The roughness then digressed to: why am I even here doing this? I'm selfish for doing this....I should be home....I'm a bad parent for taking time to do this for myself......my brain was spiraling out of control. I had to step away from this painting So. Many. Damn. Times and get myself together! It was fooling me. Fooling me of life and fooling me with that damn brown bottle on the orange cloth. That bottle is brown, dark brown, but I can see through it. How the hell do you paint "see through"? How the hell do you see through such darkness? How do I show that there is light even in that dark empty bottle? I know it's just my brain playing tricks on me.

Unnecessary.

Roughness.

Take a deep breath,
Break it all down into smaller pieces of shapes and colors. It's not that rough. In fact, it's easy to get through.  And it is necessary to do it this way.

Still #Four (2016)
Oil on canvas board 16x20


Sometimes stuff is rough,
But rarely unnecessary.
And when you can see through a dark brown bottle, it means that your liquor is out.
-Cheree









No comments:

Post a Comment