Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Still making a comeback.

For a few weeks now, I have been mostly engulfing myself in stillness.
Still life stillness.
Twenty years ago in high school I hated still life! Hated, Hated, Hated it.
Oh I hated it so much.
And charcoal still life was all we did for my entire 1st semester art; also, we were not allowed to have an eraser for the semester either (but that's a different blog writing to come later). Oh and I guess I also did a charcoal self-portrait. But anyways,
Sooooooooooooooooooo boooooooooooooooooring.
Cans, bottles, fruit and antlers (yes antlers....always antlers, it was a ranch town) sitting staged, place on a sheet with a light shining directly on it. Seriously?
Sooooooooooooooooooo boooooooooooooooooring.
I really thought I'd be making my master piece back then during my very first semester, because when you are an adolescent art student not only do you believe you are the next Picasso or Van Gogh, but you also create your master piece with little training and practice and very quickly, like by end of 4th period quickly. My master piece making self back then, did not appreciate that the still life studies are quite important in developing skill, patience, and experimentation. My master piece self did not realize that all good things take time, lots of dedication, practice, failure, and eventually a comeback.

Well, it's been a long time and the 90's are coming back! Antlers and all!
We got: No Doubt reunion, crop tops, High waist-low flare jeans, Birkenstocks (my personal fav) and a Point Blank remake for starters.
Hell, Bill Clinton might even be coming back to Washington.
Oh, and Still life (well, for me anyway)

Here are a few more of my stills from the comeback art class I'm taking and my practice.

Little Cuties (2016)
Oil on clayboard 6x6

Still #Two (2016)
Oil on canvas board 20x24

Chatty Lemons (2016)
Oil on clayboard 6x6

In the words & wisdom of the great LL Cool J: 
"Don't call it a comeback. I been here for years." 
-Cheree 




No comments:

Post a Comment