Wednesday, September 16, 2015

I am AmateurDam

Ah, Amsterdam. So many think they're ready for you, only to find that they are amateurs.

I knew going to Amsterdam that it would be out of this world and over the top, but I honestly thought that "well people live here, so it can't be crazy everywhere."  Arriving into the train station.....It. Was. Nuts! So many people, bikes, lightrails, cars zipping by in all directions. It was anxiety provoking. I didn't know which way to look or cross so that I could maintain life.

I immediately wanted to leave and go back to Belgium.

The craziness continued when we went into the main square of Amsterdam, mostly known for it's coffee shops, that really don't serve any coffee or tea for that matter (but after the brush of death attempting to cross the street, they make more sense). And the red light district, which we only skirted, due to the littles that we had with us...............But, there is just no avoiding the shop windows. Full on sex shop window displays, out in the open, in your face, and 7 year olds asking you questions you do not want to answer today, or any other day.

"Mom what are those? It looks like a penis.Look there's a red one, a green one, a pink one....."
"Why are there so many penis here Mom?"
"I don't know, I don't live here." (Amateur)
Silence
Answer Accepted!
Ummmmmm, not quite. After more thought & another window.
"Why are the penis all different colors Mom?"
(Oh God, I need a drink or coffee shop now!)
"I just told you that I don't know because I don't live here."
"Oh......... Okay.............maybe Dad knows."
Now let's get the heck out of here before more questions come at me that I don't want to discuss on vacation. (Amateur)

And that's when I found the real character of Amsterdam, by side-stepping and avoiding the.....ah.....windows and such. Outside of the crazy, over the top, and the crowds of young 20 year olds, looking for stories to tell, there is a beautiful city full of charm and down to earthiness that really can't be beat. The unique, quirkiness of Amsterdam, really lies in the canals, the locals and especially the side by side leaning houses. This is the place that is really lovely.

I can't wait to go back again.

AmateurDam (2015)
Acrylic on canvas 10x10 
SOLD 

The Peacock put it best. 
You really don't appreciate how awesome Amsterdam is until you are away from it. It's then that you realize this is a great place. 
True, but,  
"I don't know, I don't live here." 
-Cheree 



No comments:

Post a Comment