Sunday, October 21, 2018

Healing with hummingbirds

One of reasons I decided to do the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge, other than my artist block, was to help heal from the recent grief I have been experiencing.
In the early spring, my husband lost both of his parents. They passed 16 days apart from eachother. And while there is a sweetness in them being on the other side together, the suddeness and shock of the loss is so much harder than any of us ever thought it would be. I wasn't one of those who ever made in law jokes, as I always valued my in laws as another set of parents. I never thought I'd be so sad losing them and now there is a void that cannot be filled. I miss them so terribly sometimes. 

When visiting their house in Wisconsin each year, I loved watching the hummingbirds out their windows and around the flowers. During this daily painting challenge, I often did not know what I was going to paint on the pattern. Then, these little hummingbirds made their way out of my block and my grief and onto the canvas. They make me happy. 
I don't question these little guys, but rather know there may have been some guidance helping me get to where I need to be.

Hummingbird on midcentury circles 2018
Acrylic, glitter, googly eye on canvas board 6x6
Hummingbird wants a rocket pop 2018
acrylic, glitter, sequins, googly eye on mounted clay board 12x12
Hummingbird on midcentury morning glories 2018
acrylic, glitter, sequins googly eye on canvas 8x8
You've got a rainbow lolipop?! You bet I'll be there  2018
acrylic, glitter, sequins, googly eye on canvas board 8x10
Yep, looks like someone just got out the desserts 2018
acrylic, glitter, beads, sequins on clay board 8x10



Hug the ones you love, cherish the time you have, and sit down sometimes to watch the hummingbirds. They will make you happy. 
-Cheree




6 comments: