Monday, April 17, 2017

Crushin it

A couple months ago, the peacock and I took a long weekend to Crested Butte to rest and relax and enjoy the large amounts of snow. The peacock loves to snowboard and I...well, don't. I honestly, have a bit of fear when I downhill ski. I prefer scenic skiing, with snow shoes on.

So for this trip, I decided this was my year to ski!
I rented ski equipment from the local shop & got ready to head up with the family to a T-bar lift in town called Cranor Hill. For those who don't know the area, Cranor Hill is NOT Crested Butte. It is a hill, one hill, with one Tbar lift. I figured that this was a cheap and fairly easy hill to learn to ski. Oh, and I planned to just teach myself by watching some YouTube videos. I've seen my son teach himself all kinds of cool things building Minecraft, so I'm sure my Youtube ski lessons will be similar. Plus, I did ski when I was 7, so it's like riding a bike....

except that it's not. It's not at all.

We got to hill and that's when I decided, there was no way I would get on the lift and make it down intact without acquiring some kind of "trick hip" or any other long term orthopedic consequence.  So, I'll just do some hike ups and plow downs. So up I hiked about 5 feet, put my skis on and down I went...slowly, slowly, slowly. Hike up, plow down, hike up, plow down...crushin the slopes.

Not long after I began tearin it up on the slope, wouldn't you know it, but one of my old high school crushes arrived with his family. Why I never run into any of my old crushes when I'm doing awesome shit, is beyond me. At this point, the peacock was no where to be found, leaving me alone on the hill. Crush.

Crested Butte Spring Break 2016
Oil on canvas board 6x8
I soon found my forever crush inside, feeding our offspring lunch. Doing awesome shit. 
And ya, I'm crushing on it. 
-Cheree

This is an older painting, from last year's Crested Butte trip. Just didn't have the words till now. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for beginning my day with great laughter. I remember the old T bar well. Once when sheri was about 8 or 9 we were all skiing. At the top of the hill when she went to ski off her coat got caught on The t bar and she was hanging like a limp puppy headed for the big cog. thankfully there was a trip rope that stopped her. Yes I did almost have a heart attack. Love your writing and this one brought up many memories of Crested Butte.

    ReplyDelete