Friday, November 11, 2016

Break the Ground

The past few days, I, like many others have been completely obsessively engulfed in the election results.
For me, it did not go the way I wanted.

What do I do now? Where do I go now? How do I make sense of it?

I could go underground and deny to accept reality, but I fight forward and live from my heart, advocate for those who can't, create with courage, express with compassion. Turn fear & anger into beauty and action.

Not too long ago, The Denver Art Museum had an exhibit: Women of Abstract Expressionism. This exhibit was one of the best I've ever been able to view. These women were painting abstract in a time when it was somewhat taboo for them to be doing so. They were expressing the world through their art, putting their feelings, their anger, their joy, fear, and the uncertainty in the world on canvas. I went to the exhibit a few times because it was truely inspirinig. I can't even imagine the struggles these women went through for their voice in the art world to be heard. Ground breakers.

The past couple weeks I have been taking one of my weekly art classes, this time a class about Exploring the Language of Abstract. It's taught by a wonderful abstract artist, Karen Roehl. Right now we are doing a master study. I've done these before and I find them incredibly helpful. A master study is when you take a painting you love and you basically copy it exactly. It's sounds easy, but it's not. In fact, it's really quite difficult, especially to capture the feeling of someone else's abstract. The goal is to try to understand how the painting was made and you basically spend the time frequently asking yourself...

What do I do now? Where do I go now?  How do I make sense of it?

Below is my master study of Perle Fine's painting "Summer"
This is mine
This is Perle's     

 

I don't feel you ever really know all the time what to do, where to go, and how to make sense of it. You really just keep painting, dancing, writing, acting, laughing, singing, sculpting the world around you with the fire in your heart and the grace in your soul...all while the ground is breaking.
-Cheree

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Your painting and your blog gave me a sense of more than one tin soldier.

    ReplyDelete