Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Equinophobia

When I was 9 years old, I was riding bare back with 2 of my friends on a horse. My 2 friends grew up on ranches with horses, so they were already expert riders. I had only been on a horse once before this, and it was a very slow, old, horse. I was sitting in the very back of this 3 chain of girls, and the horse took off..... I however, did not. I fell flat on my back, with my left arm bend underneath me, hit my head, knocked the wind out of my lungs and lay there in a field of mud and manure. I couldn't get up, I couldn't cry, the only thing I could do is just lay there. It took all I had in my 9 year old self to eventually get up. Since that moment, for the past 40 years I have had Equinophobia.

I don't know why this one experience was such a life changer for me, (I still remember it like it just happened), but it was. For years I was terrified to even be around a horse. It's only been in the past 5 years or so that I have been able to go up to them and pet them without having heart palpitations.

Now, don't get me wrong; I love the beauty of a horse and find them to be very gentle, calming creatures, but I can still remember that feeling of falling off of that horse. I don't want to have this fear, but it seems to be ingrained in my bones. I should probably just "get back on the horse" and try it again, you know,  "face my fears"........

And so, I painted a horse. Because, this is the best way for me to be around them and appreciate them.
Horsing around (2015)
Acrylic on canvas paper mounted on panel 6x8

I must say I really enjoyed painting these guys and it seems to have turned out okay for me.  
"That's your best painting." says my Dad.
"I can actually tell what it is."
Thanks Dad. 
-Cheree 

No comments:

Post a Comment